Christian, Samson & Jones, PLLC
Richard J. Samson
Dick is one of the firm’s founding members and was born and raised in Montana. His practice is primarily devoted to the area of bankruptcy law and creditor rights. He represents clients in all phases of bankruptcy proceedings, out-of-court restructuring agreements, secured financing transactions and state court receiverships. Since 1989, Dick has also served continuously as a Chapter 7 panel trustee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Montana.
His clients represent the gamut of diverse interests in a wide variety of bankruptcy and insolvency matters. His practice emphasis in the area of bankruptcy law and creditor rights often includes issues related to real estate law, business law, commercial transactions, banking law, probate law and litigation issues – both in federal and state courts.
In addition to his legal practice, he has shared his expertise as an adjunct instructor in bankruptcy law at the University of Montana School of Law. And, Dick was recognized in the 2014 edition of Best Lawyers in America for his work in the areas of bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights/insolvency and reorganization law.
- Creditor Rights (state and federal courts)
- Eastern Montana College, B.A. special education, with honors, 1974
- University of Montana, M.A., education administration, with honors, 1984
- University of Montana, J.D., with honors, 1987
Memberships and Associations:
- State Bar of Montana, since 1987; president, Section on Bankruptcy, 1995-1996, 2003-2004
- U.S. District Court, District of Montana
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representative for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Montana
- Western Montana Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
Dick and his wife, Darlene, have two daughters. Dick enjoys spending his leisure time with his family in a variety of activities.